IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
How do I remove a virus from my exchange or Shoutbox?, Please help, people tell me my exchange has a virus on it
Martyn
post Dec 27 2005, 02:19 PM
Post #1

WSF Commander

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

SYMPTOMS
People are reporting that your traffic, banner, text exchange or shoutbox has a virus on it. Often this is being reported as a Trojan by virus applications.

CAUSE
It is unlikely that your website has a virus on it - unless you uploaded it yourself. The real cause will be a link someone has added to your site.

If the report comes from your exchange it will have the web page in the report from which you can use to identify the member who added the page to the exchange and the other URLs they have added.

The first action should be to ban the member and enter the reason as "potential virus".

This will immediately stop this members pages from being rotated while you investigate the problem. Make sure your anti virus is up to date and test each of the members pages. If a virus is reported then leave that member banned!

If the report is about the Shoutbox then it is far easier to take immediate action by clearing all entries. You can't stop people from saying what the want in an open forum and in the same way you cannot stop someone placing infected URLs in a Shoutbox.

By emptying the Shoutbox you can remove the infected URL and this will stop further reports from anti virus programs.

Attached File  SNAG_0000.gif ( 13.69K ) Number of downloads: 215

To empty the Shoutbox login to your BCP/System Configuration/Shoutbox and select "Reset Shoutbox" this will remove all messages as well as the infected URL

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Further information on Viruses and Spyware for the traffic exchange script owner
http://www.walkerwebsites.com/absolutenm/a...er.asp?a=58&z=5

An alternative to Norton and McAfee and why js/wonka 4577 isn't a virus
http://www.walkerwebsites.com/absolutenm/a...r.asp?a=120&z=5

KEYWORDS
virus, antivirus, anti-virus, trojan, wonka, norton, mcafee, AVG, grisoft, shoutbox
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:18 AM