Reply to this topicStart new topic
Namecheap Coupon Code, Even cheaper domain registrations and free whoisguard
Martyn
post Dec 10 2006, 10:00 AM
Post #1

WSF Commander

Group: Admin
Member No.: 10

I am moving all my domains away from godaddy.com and the wild west domains inc affiliates. The main reason is a recent shift in their policy to spam means that should a competitor want to get you closed down all he has to do is make a single complaint against any domain name held by them and they will shut it down. He doesn't even have to prove his complaint! Even more frightening is the prospect of trying to get the decision reversed. While they have hundreds of customer service personnel available for receiving the complaints no one is authorized to discuss the matter with the name owner. It's such a shame, I had always preferred godaddy et al, but this is a show stopper and perhaps is the result of their overwhelming success in the domain names market.

I do not fear any legitimate complaint regarding spam, I have never done it, never considered it and always taken steps to ensure I apply netiquette which goes far beyond the requirements of the law. But how can I work with a company that will take the word of a competitor over that of their customers? Come to think of it how can anyone?

So it is time for me to leave them and rather than just jump ship I performed due diligence on a number of the more popular providers. The result is that www.namecheap.com have a suitable (but comprehensive) TOS. They too reserve the right to shutdown domains that are the cause of the usual list of Internet abuse. However after a discussion with their support team I feel confident there will be someone at the end of a line capable of taking evidence and making a decision. And they emphatically denied they will shutdown a website on the say so of a complaint alone, it would have to be backed up with irrevocable evidence. That means namecheap.com employ something not often found in the domain name customer services industry (and particlulary not godaddy and wild west domains): Common Sense.

However Namecheap.com are not the cheapest name provider despite the name, one one of my discussions with their customer service reps they revealed their latest discount code for transfers (I don't know if this will work for new domains or annual extensions, perhaps you could try it and let us know).

WCSSPECIAL

It saves 89 cents, saving me $17.80 this morning and I have another 50 odd names to go smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 10 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #2

WSF Lieutenent

Group: PM Unlimited
Member No.: 498
Exchanges: www.trafficbunnies.com

Well, I haven't heard anything bad about godaddy, but maybe I haven't looked! Namecheap offer a lot of services with the transfer, including the whois protection - which is an optional extra at godaddy.

I usually buy mine through godaddy, as I can use promo codes and register new domains for $7.20. I understand that we want to all keep our domains as safe as possible, but do you think it's worth the odd $1000 for transfer - in the case of owning 50?

One other question... when you transfer, does it start the registration date over again, or do you need to reregister it like normal when the tme comes for renewal?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Dec 10 2006, 10:47 AM
Post #3

WSF Commander

QUOTE (Cindy @ Dec 10 2006, 10:20 AM) *
Well, I haven't heard anything bad about godaddy, but maybe I haven't looked! Namecheap offer a lot of services with the transfer, including the whois protection - which is an optional extra at godaddy.

Nor had I but two weeks ago one of my business colleagues was accused of sending spam and had his domain shutdown. He certainly doesn't send spam, in fact he didn't have an email server for the domain, all incoming email for the domain was forwarded to another company address and nothing was sent via SMTP so he certainly didn't send email. It is possible the URL to his domain appeared in messages but they weren't sent by him (and godaddy offered no evidence of this, so we're guessing). All his advertising for the domain is/was offline. The domain remained focused on his business and did not offer advertising to anyone else. He is in a very competitive market (personal loans) and really is a straight shooter. The only thing godaddy would say was they had received a complaint, not complaints, just "a complaint".

I usually buy mine through godaddy, as I can use promo codes and register new domains for $7.20. I understand that we want to all keep our domains as safe as possible, but do you think it's worth the odd $1000 for transfer - in the case of owning 50?

I have transferred the 20 most important domains right away. There are about 50 others I care about and about another 20 that belong to other folks who have not accepted the transfer into their own name. Those 50 are really investment domain names and hold a high yield future value. Don't mix this up with cybersquatting though, these are names that (as far as I know) cannot be confused with any trademarks. I keep them cos I have plans smile.gif but as they use godaddy parking pages so (I assume) are safe from these kind of accusations.

One other question... when you transfer, does it start the registration date over again, or do you need to reregister it like normal when the tme comes for renewal?

It just adds a year to the current annual renewal date.

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 10 2006, 11:10 AM
Post #4

WSF Lieutenent

hmmm.. just one more question.

What happens to the domain? Does it become godaddy property? Does it just get dropped? What happnens?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Dec 10 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #5

WSF Commander

QUOTE (Cindy @ Dec 10 2006, 11:10 AM) *
hmmm.. just one more question.

What happens to the domain? Does it become godaddy property? Does it just get dropped? What happnens?

Oh no, worse than that, much worse than that. They change the DNS to change the DNS to NS1.SUSPENDED-FOR.SPAM-AND-ABUSE.COM

One would think godaddy would have a strong case for doing that but if they did why do they refuse to provide him any information? He owned and used the domain for 5 years and spent a fortune on offline advertising during that period to build a reputation. This has effectively destroyed it. Even if they do return the domain to him how many people interested in taking out a loan are going to seek it from a company accused of "spam and abuse"?

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 10 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #6

WSF Lieutenent

Oh no! That is just terrible!! How awful for him! It just seems so wrong - especially since there is no means for appeal. If I didn't have all of my domains registered with them I would love to say something to them, or at least ask about their stance on the issue... but I won't 'cause I am a wuss!

I am shocked at how rediculous this all sounds - the idea that one single person can totally undo all of your friend's hard work with one single complaint!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Lorraine
post Dec 10 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #7

WSF Lieutenent

Member No.: 173
Exchanges: http://dragonsgoldsurf.com

QUOTE (Cindy @ Dec 10 2006, 09:44 AM) *
Oh no! That is just terrible!! How awful for him! It just seems so wrong - especially since there is no means for appeal. If I didn't have all of my domains registered with them I would love to say something to them, or at least ask about their stance on the issue... but I won't 'cause I am a wuss!

I am shocked at how rediculous this all sounds - the idea that one single person can totally undo all of your friend's hard work with one single complaint!

I can't stand godaddy, they don't care about thier customeers, just the money. They caused me a lot of trouble this past March. Last year I had transfered a domain out of them completly, total transfer to somewgere else. I paid $12.50 for that. Which is fine. But cvome March when the domain was ready to be renewed, 3 weeks before, I told them I wasn't renewing. What did they do/ they charged my bank account $20.00 2 times 3 days apart. I didn't have the money in the bank and they had no right to do that anyway. My bank charged me $30 on top of everything else, then canceled my bank account.

Now I use iNamesDirect.com . Great servise, free forwarding, phone and email and online help nearly 24/7. I'll never use anyone else.

Don't ever use cheap domains either, they are owned by godaddy.

Lorraine

--------------------
Lorraine

ListBuilderHits

+Quote Post
IdealInternet
post Dec 10 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #8

WSF Professional

Group: Members
Member No.: 441
Exchanges: www.idealtraffic.net
www.thebaconexchange.com
www.moreadviews.com
www.essentialexchange.net

QUOTE (Martyn @ Dec 10 2006, 03:00 AM) *
I am moving all my domains away from godaddy.com and the wild west domains inc affiliates. The main reason is a recent shift in their policy to spam means that should a competitor want to get you closed down all he has to do is make a single complaint against any domain name held by them and they will shut it down. He doesn't even have to prove his complaint! Even more frightening is the prospect of trying to get the decision reversed. While they have hundreds of customer service personnel available for receiving the complaints no one is authorized to discuss the matter with the name owner. It's such a shame, I had always preferred godaddy et al, but this is a show stopper and perhaps is the result of their overwhelming success in the domain names market.

I do not fear any legitimate complaint regarding spam, I have never done it, never considered it and always taken steps to ensure I apply netiquette which goes far beyond the requirements of the law. But how can I work with a company that will take the word of a competitor over that of their customers? Come to think of it how can anyone?

So it is time for me to leave them and rather than just jump ship I performed due diligence on a number of the more popular providers. The result is that www.namecheap.com have a suitable (but comprehensive) TOS. They too reserve the right to shutdown domains that are the cause of the usual list of Internet abuse. However after a discussion with their support team I feel confident there will be someone at the end of a line capable of taking evidence and making a decision. And they emphatically denied they will shutdown a website on the say so of a complaint alone, it would have to be backed up with irrevocable evidence. That means namecheap.com employ something not often found in the domain name customer services industry (and particlulary not godaddy and wild west domains): Common Sense.

However Namecheap.com are not the cheapest name provider despite the name, one one of my discussions with their customer service reps they revealed their latest discount code for transfers (I don't know if this will work for new domains or annual extensions, perhaps you could try it and let us know).

WCSSPECIAL

It saves 89 cents, saving me $17.80 this morning and I have another 50 odd names to go smile.gif

I've used Namecheap for going on 2 years now, and I've never had a complaint with their service. They're great to deal with.

My other choice for domain regs is http://domainsite.com. You don't get the free whois guard, etc. that you do with Namecheap, but their prices aren't bad and they're pretty quick with support.

--------------------
Thanks,
Tony
===============
My Exchange Sites ++ Ideal Traffic ++ MoreAdViews ++ Essential Exchange ++ The Bacon Exchange
Other Sites ++ Exchange Support Forums ++ Free Content ++ Free Website Directory - Add your site !
===============

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Dec 10 2006, 03:58 PM
Post #9

WSF Commander

QUOTE (Cindy @ Dec 10 2006, 11:44 AM) *

He is not short of money, he owns several succesful financial businesses in the UK and I think quite capable of taking this to the relevent court to get it turned around. The reason he doesn't is it would not be a productive investment. If he won there would be nothing he can do to get the reputation back and it would involve a long and expensive battle if he were to try claim compensation.

He has now moved all his domain names to a UK supplier so that should the same thing happen he will have more control over the end result.

+Quote Post
Boris
post Dec 11 2006, 08:31 AM
Post #10

WSF Superstar

Member No.: 77

I am moving all my domains away from godaddy.com and the wild west domains inc affiliates. The main reason is a recent shift in their policy to spam means that should a competitor want to get you closed down all he has to do is make a single complaint against any domain name held by them and they will shut it down. He doesn't even have to prove his complaint!

Martyn i remember warning here well back on the forum about godaddy for the same reason this aint news. Registerfly is my top pick, namecheap is great too. You can get great coupn deals too. If you want a cheap .INFO domain use coupon code
superinfo

$0.75

--------------------
Cheers,

Boris Petersen
1-877-875-0063

GTS Marketing
Cashin Profit 'N' Traffic

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 11 2006, 08:38 AM
Post #11

WSF Lieutenent

That's crazy cheap Boris!

I still think it totally sucks! My traficbunnies is registered at a different place, but I have just registered an awesome domain for my next te project. Now I have to work out what to do about it! Guess it's better to spend the $20 now, than lose all of my hard work a few months from now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Dec 11 2006, 08:58 AM
Post #12

WSF Commander

QUOTE (Boris @ Dec 11 2006, 09:31 AM) *
Martyn i remember warning here well back on the forum about godaddy for the same reason this aint news. Registerfly is my top pick, namecheap is great too. You can get great coupn deals too. If you want a cheap .INFO domain use coupon code
superinfo

$0.75

Hi Boris,

I'm sorry I missed it, but I am taking action now.

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 11 2006, 11:37 AM
Post #13

WSF Lieutenent

So... Boris - is the 75 cent coupon deal for Registryfly, or Namecheap? Wasn't very clear...

Also - do you mind if I post about this on my forum? I think that my members would love to know about this offer too smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Dec 11 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #14

WSF Commander

QUOTE (Cindy @ Dec 11 2006, 12:37 PM) *
So... Boris - is the 75 cent coupon deal for Registryfly, or Namecheap? Wasn't very clear...

Also - do you mind if I post about this on my forum? I think that my members would love to know about this offer too smile.gif

They all tend to issue coupons that last for varying periods. I think the .75 will be up now but you can find others here:-

http://www.theflypaper.com/#superinfo

I know of one person who has had a nightmare of a different kind with registerfly, they introduced new software which lost his DNS entries during a transfer and he was not able to update them for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure of the exact details - it's Scotire - and he's on this board so if he reads this he could perhaps go into more detail.

I do not think this put's them in the same league of evil as godaddy but it might be worth a quick check before making the move if the names are in daily use...

+Quote Post
Cindy
post Dec 11 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #15

WSF Lieutenent

Thanks HEAPS for this list! I can keep my members coming back to my forum for ages with this info... just nobody tell them my source tongue.gif

Did you know that Registryfly does transfers for les than $4? Do you think that they might have learned their lesson with the whole software. Can't imagine they would put themselves through that kind of stress too many times.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Martyn
post Feb 5 2007, 08:16 AM
Post #16

WSF Commander

Latest code for registrations and transfers is feblove

+Quote Post
Jeffrey Johnson
post Mar 1 2007, 03:30 AM
Post #17

WSF Star

Member No.: 152
Exchanges: http://swap-traffic.com

Registerfly is either stealing domains or allowing people to.

Just lost a domain today so if used RegisterFly move them quick.

ICAAN sent notice they have to improve things or lose accreadation.

http://registerflies.com/

--------------------
Proud owner of a walker not launched yet. Proud survivor of major stroke in April 2010.

+Quote Post
surfaholic
post Mar 1 2007, 03:33 AM
Post #18

WSF Superstar

Member No.: 548
Exchanges: www.swap-traffic.com

QUOTE (Jeffrey Johnson @ Mar 1 2007, 01:30 AM) *
Registerfly is either stealing domains or allowing people to.

Just lost a domain today so if used RegisterFly move them quick.

ICAAN sent notice they have to improve things or lose accreadation.

http://registerflies.com/

Jeffrey I see you havent been here for ages check your signature

+Quote Post
surfaholic
post Mar 1 2007, 03:33 AM
Post #19

WSF Superstar

Member No.: 548
Exchanges: www.swap-traffic.com

LOL thank you laugh.gif

+Quote Post
constantoo
post Nov 27 2009, 01:42 PM
Post #20

WSF Newbie

Member No.: 2,575

hi,
me too at one point of time got irritated with go daddy and transfered my domain to http://www.tucktail.com/

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:24 PM